Monday, August 18, 2008

Feeling Anxious

I'm anticipating a busy Fall and last night I started feeling anxious about what lies ahead. We have been terribly boring the last two years because we have only done things with people that I knew I could have a moment in front of--And believe me I have my moments. Now we will still be boring but with more commitments. I would list them all out for y'all but that would produce some comments like, "But I do all of that on a normal Tuesday...stop complaining!" Plus who really cares...exactly. That's not my point. 

I am blessed with good sleep and never realized that it was a gift until I married Sean.  He is a terrible sleeper--on a good night he gets 6 hours and if I only get 6 hours I am not a happy girl. That's about half of what I try to get and feel like I NEED to function. Yes, that means about 12 hours is just right. Even in college I went to bed earlier than everyone else in my dorm/house. Since I had Ty it has dropped to 10 at best. Way more than most people I know. Sleeplessness is by far the hardest part of having a newborn for me...isn't it for all new moms...anyway, last night while I lay awake wishing I could sleep I thought about how much anxiety wreaks havoc (no idea how to spell that,) on all of us. Sometimes it is fleeting and sometimes it is consuming, but it is never constructive. So how do we put it back where it belongs? (In the gutter) We pray. Then we pray again. Then again and every time we start to feel it creep back in. Do I do this faithfully? Of course not! But I do know that no matter the severity of the anxiety that a person has, praying and trusting God to hear your prayer will help. You know the peace that passes understanding part? It's real. Here are a few verses that I have found very helpful.

"But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord;
I say, 'You are my God.' My times are in Your hands."  Psalm 31:14,15

"I will both lie down in peace, and sleep;
For You alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."   Psalm 4:8

"Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29

Believe that God sees you where you are even when you feel like you don't see Him there. I read a book a few years ago that I often refer back to when I get impatient/frustrated with God. It is called Faith is Not a Feeling and it was written by Ney Bailey. She is a jewel. Bet she gets good sleep at night! 

No comments: