Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I'll Stay Where You've Put Me

If you have been reading the devotional Streams in the Desert by L.B. Cowman you have seen this poem, which I have to assume was written by Cowman since there is not another author mentioned. It is a wonderful, powerful reminder that God is in control of our lives, no matter how small our lives might seem to us at a given time. On Sunday our pastor gave some very easy guidelines to follow/remember about living a life that reflects our belief and assurance that God is sovereign and the impact that that assurance has on our world around us. The hard truth, he said, is that it is our fear and anxiety that robs us of this assurance. Our distrust that He is still on the throne, monitoring every thing that happens around us. Our fear that maybe He forgot us, left us to our own governing, our own despair. Read this poem and hopefully be reminded that He is indeed still on His throne and he certainly has a plan for your life. Even if your day is at home with little people hanging on you, without much outside interaction. Even if you have been waiting for your other half to show up in your life, and you have waited a long long time, and you feel alone. Even if you feel trapped in your job and you are sure your gifts aren't being used.
__________________________________
"Stay there until I tell you." (Matthew 2:13)

I'll stay where You've put me; I will, dear Lord,
Though I wanted so badly to go;
I was eager to march with the "rank and file,"
Yes, I wanted to lead them, You know.
I planned to keep step to the music loud,
To cheer when the banner unfurled,
To stand in the midst of the fight straight and proud,
But I'll stay where You've put me.

I'll stay where You've put me; I'll work, dear Lord,
Though the field be narrow and small,
And the ground be neglected, and stones lie thick,
And there seems to be no life at all.
The field is Your own, only give me the seed,
I'll sow it with never a fear;
I'll till the dry soil while I wait for the rain,
And rejoice when the green blades appear;
I'll work where You've put me.

I'll stay where You've put me; I will, dear Lord;
I'll bear the day's burden and heat,
Always trusting You fully; when sunset has come
I'll lay stalks of grain at Your feet.
And then, when my earth work is ended and done,
In the light of eternity's glow,
Life's record all closed, I surely will find
It was better to stay than go;
I'll stay where You've put me.


1 comment:

Brooke & Freeland said...

very encouraging. Thanks for posting and sharing it!