Thursday, May 5, 2011

Right before the firemen came into my house

I was thinking how easy this week had been compared to what I thought it would be...

I said a weird prayer of thanks for Sean getting strep so that he could stay home and rest instead of go on his trip...

I changed Joy's diaper and noticed a rash that I was sure hadn't been there before...

I let Max out to go potty and told him he'd better not pull any pranks...

Sean and Ty left for the walk to school...

I heard the annoying beep of a smoke detector needing a new battery...

I went to the garage to get a ladder...

Went upstairs to figure out which detector was beeping...

Came back down to remove Joy from the ladder...

Went back upstairs to figure out which detector was beeping...

Carried the ladder upstairs, (I'd have left all of this for Sean to do if I didn't need to put Joy down for her nap quickly due to her meltdown,) and narrowed it down to two detectors...

Really narrowed it down to what I thought was the faulty one and switched out the battery...

Put a video on for Joy since she kept trying to climb the ladder...

Heard the beeping again...

Moved on to the other detector to change it's battery...

Had a momentary lapse of judgment...

Pulled the other detector apart even though it's monitored by our alarm company...

AND THEN THE FIRE ALARMS WENT OFF

ALL OF THEM

THEN THE HOUSE ALARM WENT OFF

Then I tried to put the detector back together to no avail...

And punched in the code to turn the alarm off...

And thought all was back to normal...

Breathed in a sigh of relief that Sean didn't witness all of the circus that just unfolded in our house...

I sent him a text saying I'd just set the house alarm off and I'm a pitiful excuse for a handyman...

Changed Joy's diaper again...

My phone rang...

I said hello...

The nice lady from ADT said she'd gotten the alert that our fire alarm went off...

And I told her what happened...

She said, "Well, since I couldn't get you on your home phone I went ahead and called the fire department...

I look toward the street and see the fire truck already parking right in front of my house...

I told her thanks very much because had this been a real emergency I'd have appreciated her ability to get them to my house in approximately 90 seconds instead of giving me enough time to call it in that setting off the alarm was a total accident...

I put my phone down and saw a text from Sean:

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU DID BUT I JUST TOOK A PICTURE OF THE FIRE TRUCK RIGHT IN FRONT OF OUR HOUSE."

I read that text and laughed because it's typical for Sean to assume that nothing actually happened...

So I took a deep breath and laughed at myself...

I opened the front door...

Right before the firemen came into my house.


The End.



4 comments:

Carley said...

FUNNY! Sean actually sent me a text telling me the story about walking home from taking Ty to school and seeing the firetrucks....at the same time you sent me a text telling me about the incident. I told Jason and we got a good laugh on your behalf last night. :) Never a dull moment and I love how you retell the story.

Michelle said...

Oh, Mary...This is too funny!

We Three Smiths + 1 said...

Oh Mary!!! I appreciate you so much!! You humor me so!!! I think God had similar molds when he made us!

Miss Mommy said...

So funny. You and Sean live a crazy life.

Happy birthday to Joy- can't believe it has been 2 years!