Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Gently, Lord

From the book Things Pondered by Beth Moore:


Gently, Lord

Love me gently, Lord
I'm hurting now.
I've lived to see Your sovereignty
You've taught my knees to bow
I've caught glimpses of Your glory
I've seen Your righteous ways
But right now I need You, Father,
Just to face another day.

You have promised not to always be
Exactly what I please
But You give me sweet assurance
You're exactly what I need.
I need a gentle Father
And the lullaby He sings,
"Let me tuck you safely
Underneath My healing wings."

Love me gently, Lord,
I'm hurting now.
You said, "Take your cross and follow Me."
I beg, please show me how
To celebrate my weakness
That in You I might be strong.
When desperation grips my soul
A moment seems too long.

Oh, God, what noble plans I had
To do this whole thing right
Now I fall before You wounded
And I've lost the will to fight.
There are soldiers all around me
They're depending on me, too.
I fear I've nothing left to give
So, again I ask, Can You?

I'll love you gently, He says,
I know you're hurting now.
You've oft revered my sovereignty
Your knees have dropped to bow
If you could only see things
From My throne's clear point of view
You'd see glimpses of My glory
Are fast at work in you.

I'll love you gently.
Let me soothe your hurting now
I've said, Pick up and follow--
I'll do more than show you how.
I'll turn this Throne of brilliance
Into a rocking chair
Crawl aboard, My precious child,
And I will rock you there.

6 comments:

Casey Pettett said...

Thinking of you tonight, my friend. I love you.

Allison said...

Loving you, Mary. Prayers going up.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Love you Mary... praying for you tonight.

Michelle said...

Praying for you. Thank you for sharing these words.

Carley said...

Love you sweet friend! What a comforting poem!

We Three Smiths + 1 said...

I never stop praying and thinking about you...may each approaching day be a little easier than the one before.