Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Goop

For years now I've heard about Sean's grandmother Mammie. How funny she was, how in love with her husband, how committed to her church. Even more than any of that other stuff I heard about what a great cook she was. Her recipes live on in all of the girls in their family and her specialties almost always included lard. Homemade biscuits, gravy, you name it she made it from scratch.

Sean always talks about eating angel food cake at her house when he was little. "It was magical and perfect!" He always followed the description up with the literal icing on the cake-which Mammie called 'goop.'

For years I've wondered what the heck goop is/was so a few weeks ago I asked Sean's mom about it. She laughed. Then she kept laughing. Y'all she couldn't breathe she laughed so hard.

"What is it?" I asked.

She said, "Well, like all things she cooked she was secretive about goop for a long time until Gene, (Mammie's son and Sean's dad,) asked me to make it for him. As his mother she felt it was only right to finally tell."

Then she said, "You want to know what goop is?"

"Yes."

"Frozen strawberries and Cool Whip."

Love that Mammie.



1 comment:

Miss Mommy said...

That so reminds me of the secret sauce at the place my dad worked out in high school- they were always asked and they never told, but evidently is was half ketchup ad half mustard or something ridiculous like that. :)