Sunday, April 12, 2009

How Deep the Father's Love for us

How deep the Father's love for us, how vast beyond all measure
That he should give his only son, to make a wretch his treasure
How great the pain of searing loss, the Father turned his face away
As wounds which mar the chosen one, bring many sons to glory


Behold the man upon a cross, my sin upon his shoulders
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held him there until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life; I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything: no gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ; his death and resurrection
Why should I gain from his reward? I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart: his wounds have paid my ransom
© 1995
Kingsway's Thankyou Music
CCLI
#1596342Album: I Could Sing of Your Love Forever 2

I wonder if I'll ever fully grasp what He did for me but the closest I can come is to imagine giving up one of my kids for someone else's sake. Even one of my other kids. How great the pain of searing loss...I would never have it in me. This year more than ever I can wrap my mind around losing a child. I can imagine the depth of pain. I can feel the hurt that other people have experienced.

So today as we listened to what was taught I kept thinking, "You are my Father and You've given me a wonderful father here, AND You've given me a wonderful father for my children. How could I possibly deserve what You did for me?"

And I can't. I won't. I'll just mess it up more and more over time I figure. He loves us so much that He won't go away though. Just like we won't go away from our kids, but multiplied by about 10,000 because He is God and can love more than we could ever understand. He loved us--He loved you--enough to put His child up on a cross and let Him bear weight that He didn't deserve. That his own actions didn't merit. That His heart could barely stand.

Knowing that all of His children could live forever with Him as a result. What a beautiful picture of hope for us to cling to.

2 comments:

Carley said...

I love this song! I finally bought a CD that has it on it so I can listen to it over and over. Ginger sang it at the Good Friday service and it gave me goose bumps. This is the song Sheila is singing in Bonnie's wedding. Thanks for putting up the lyrics. Hope you had fun with your family. Sorry we never stopped by...we had a nice lazy day. I desperately need to update my blog but haven't felt like being on the computer much. I need to put pics from my shower and our diaper shower! Maybe tomorrow.... Good to see you guys this morning. You looked cute in your dress! :)

Michelle said...

What a great message! Hope you guys had a great Easter!