Sunday, October 28, 2012

Not even bullet points would help you with this one

Halloween costumes this year were so easy I kept waiting for one of them to rip or something. Mine would be the most likely to rip for obvious reasons. Well maybe not so obvious since I strategically placed a kid or two in front of me in this picture. Cheerleading uniforms don't give a whole lot and they sure don't hide anything related to three pregnancies. The whole night I was mortified that we used to walk around in these without the layers I added underneath. Yikes.

We have had fun going to parties where candy and bounce houses abound. I'm still in shock that my kids didn't have cavities last week at the dentist so I'm letting them have at it candy-wise. Y'all have I told you about the dentist visit? Grab a chair.

I made appointments for all of them at the same time. Misery loves company right? Ty and Charlie have been to the dentist before but this was Joy's maiden voyage. I took Mom with me and at some point she brought Dad in to help. I think he came somewhere between Ty grabbing onto the light fixture and Ty grabbing onto other various permanent objects he could find. He cried. He begged. He freaked. I had flashbacks of Sean holding him down the last time. Mom had a silent heated exchange with Sean at one point because it was yet another thing he should be here for. Those things, they don't stop. We plow through, we are having a fun, full life, sure, but things creep up. Things that are hard like the dentist and shots at the doctor. Donuts with daddy days, and when they see their friends learn to do things with their daddy's help. Every day is another chance to teach them about counting blessings and thanking God for what we DO have: grandparents, four of them, who would do anything for them and to help me. Godly, loving men in our families and even family friends who can put their bikes together or help me with car issues. A God who they're learning about that cares for them and hears their prayers.

An obvious answer to one of my prayers that I learned at my teacher conference last week--there is a little boy in Ty's class who lost his daddy in an accident. His teacher told me about the day that the boys realized that they both had daddies in Heaven. The light bulbs went off and they talked to her about it. She told them that her dad is in Heaven too and that they all know each other up there.

Does that show you how The Lord works? Y'all, He knows. He knows that I was heartbroken imagining my kids as the only ones without a daddy to brag about. They're not. Not only that, Ty's teacher is just the funniest, sweetest thing. The "little things" of our lives are not always overlooked.

I love the song, "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross." Sunday morning our pastor talked about the man who wrote it and the rest of the sermon I thought through the words.

"See, from His head, His hands, His feet. Sorrow and love flow mingled down. Did ever such love and sorrow meet? Or thorns compose so rich a crown?"

It changed everything. It still does.

Seasons are changing...(praise Jesus,) and life is going and moving on. The year mark is around the corner and we've celebrated almost every holiday in the year already. Thanksgiving will be the last one and so far I have no plans to skip the country. Now I may be in talks soon after this year you never know. I still entertain the thought of moving and starting over. I've always wanted to live in Colorado. Ooh or Montana. Or I might stay put. Probably.

Anyway.

Y'all be careful tomorrow and remember to try your kids candy to make sure it's safe ;)




2 comments:

M. Schlansker said...

I love reading your blog. You are such an encouragement. I will continue praying for y'all.

We Three Smiths + 1 said...

Yes you are friend...you just keep pushing and I am forever proud of your strength and beauty through it all.