Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Cousin and The Fair

How's that for a creative title? I actually don't have pictures from the fair yet--tomorrow maybe? Here are pictures from Saturday while we watched the kids play together. You know they don't actually play together at all but like any play date it's a good chance to catch up with the adults in the room/vicinity. This is my parents' back yard, the same yard I played in when I was little.

Here is the cousin Henry. Isn't he cute?! He does look like Graham a little more now but we still think Ty is Graham's "mini-me." That's my Dad posing in his best picture-ready outfit. See why it doesn't bother me that Sean wears shorts and t-shirts almost every day of the year? Look what my dad wears! My sister in law Ana is in the background. She had just made the 6 + hour drive with Henry. 
Charlie in her bucket. Bless her heart we just put her in there and give her a toy--literally one toy-a ball and she's happy for like 2 hours. The ball can't get away from her and she's protected from ants. I wonder why she doesn't crawl yet...
Ty learned how to throw "horse apples" the last time he stayed with Nattie and Popeye so he showed me this time how good he is at it. I have no idea what those are really called so if it's not horse apples I apologize.
When at Popeye's there is always a little violin time. See he could wear those same clothes years from now and fit right in with Pat Green's band. My son the future fiddle player.
Emmy, Charlie, and Graham. We had just finished taking the kids' pictures with the pumpkins--I promise I'll post them when I get them. Nattie's been busy hosting everybody and hasn't had time to look through her pictures yet!

The Fair was a success. It was hard but the good kind of hard where you know it was worth the effort. There was a fair amount of walking and eating, a few fits, and a lot of family togetherness. True to form, Ty would not eat the food. We tried pizza, two kinds of fries, and crackers. We resigned ourselves to the fact that his dinner would be golden grahams and saltine crackers but near the end of our time there he finally ate some fries. Victory! Sad that we throw a party when he eats fries. At least there is something in his stomach when he goes to bed. Am I a poster child for organic, low fat, homemade food for your kids or what? 

3 comments:

Carley said...

Ok, don't laugh. The "horse apples" are called Osage Hedge Balls.

http://www.osagehedgeballs.com/Default.htm

The only reason why I know this is because when my in-laws were here my MIL was really wanting to know what they were and jason researched it. :) I grew up calling them horse apples too...

Emmy said...

Huh. I never knew that they even had a name. Ty sure did like throwing them. He showed me how, too. The added joy is that throwing "horse apples" involves standing in the middle of the road, which is normally forbidden for him.

Carley said...

HA! Emmy, I had no idea there was a name either but my MIL really was curious what the tree was (she was visiting from Oregon). So Jason looked it up and figured it out thanks to google. However, I prefer the name "horse apples". cute that he like to throw them.