Friday, October 17, 2008

Max the Fugitive

To put it mildly, the last few days have been hard. Not in the eternal significance sense and I'm thankful for the health of my kids even on days when I ask people I don't even know to take them. I'm thankful for a home. For family, and food to eat. What/Who I'm not thankful for is my dog. This is why.

On Wednesdays I go to Sean's parents house in Denton for the day. It fills up the whole day and I have help and a few meals with his parents. It has been a great relief the last few weeks because of feeling bad and not wanting to cook. The bonus is that the kids normally sleep well when we're there. Oh my friend that was not the case this week. Ty has massive allergy issues and Charlie is teething--okay trying to stay positive. This week Ty did not nap at all and Charlie slept for maybe an hour. For those of us who are blessed with good sleepers, the days that they don't sleep well kinda throw us off. It makes you thankful for the many many days that they DO sleep. It also makes you wish you had a nanny so YOU yourself could take a nap :)

Nap struggles aside, the day went fine until the trip home. Sean was already in Atlanta about to leave for work and got a phone call from the Police Dept. Since our kids aren't old enough to drive or break laws that leaves one family member in question: Max. Not that I am exempt from breaking laws but my dad is a lawyer and always told us that if we got arrested for something he wouldn't help us out of it. I believed him and still think if I got arrested I'd have to call someone else. Anyway sure enough it was about Max. Guess what he did. 

When I left him outside to go to Denton he freaked out and started digging a hold under the fence to get out. I guess he was going to try to find us? He's got separation anxiety. Like the real kind. I leave him outside all the time and for some reason that day he couldn't take it. So he dug a hole but found that it didn't allow his 70 lb body under the fence so he broke the fence. I don't know if he used his paws or his teeth or both but he broke the fence. It's a big fence. A police man saw him and tried to read his collar but Max tried to bite him. Sure, my dog who gets his eyes poked at and tail pulled 45 times daily tries to bite the officer who is trying to read his collar. 

He was over the edge I tell you.

Animal control had to come and since I wasn't home when they called (3 p.m.) they shipped him to McKinney to the doggie jail. He had to spend the night. This is Max who got stressed when we moved him from our bedroom to the adjacent room so we could sleep. Max loves the vet, the groomer, and any other field trip. What he doesn't enjoy is spending the night with 34 other dogs on a concrete floor. The next day I had to go get him before I made the drive to my parents house. I had to pay to bail him out, which is maddening because in truth if it was my decision I would pay them to KEEP him not give him back. God love him he is just the hardest child I have right now.

I went from McKinney to my parents' house (1 hr 15 minute drive,) and then once we got down there Ty didn't nap. Two days in a row no nap for the 2 year old who is not fun to be around when he hasn't gotten all 13 hours of sleep each night + at least 2 hours per nap. Yuck. You know the saying, "If Momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy." Yep, that's how it's been in our house. Just replace "Momma" with "Ty." Today upon returning home I called my babysitter and asked her to come over and she said yes. Whew. Jesus is certainly still on the throne and today He gave me some relief in the form of a babysitter.  Thanks Katelyn! 

3 comments:

Carley said...

I love it! I laughed when you told me the story in person but it's even funnier reading it on your blog! I'm praying your nausea lets up!

Miss Mommy said...

That's hilarious!

Emmy said...

Mary, show the picture if you can. It really adds a little something extra to the story.