Tuesday, January 19, 2010

This is never good

UPDATE: She is doing well. They told us to let her nap and to check on her every 15 minutes to see if she would stir when we poked/prodded. This goes against all we've done for sleep for the kids so I think she was like, "What the heck are you doing mom and dad? Can't you see I'm trying to sleep in here??" What a joy it was to see her annoyed with us instead of laying too still and ignoring our attempts to wake her. Apparently the way she moved around and woke up (not fully,) was just what she was supposed to do. We felt much better once she woke from her nap at around a normal time and asked for candy.

Our girl is just fine.

Asking for candy in response to the many times we offered it earlier, (that she turned down which proved a trip to the ER was necessary,) is a totally normal thing for Charlie. She'll eat just about anything for a candy bribe. Medicine? Check. Vegetables? Check. Well not really. But she loves candy. The apple fell right by the tree, God love her. We love some good Smarties and we do just about anything for SweetTarts. It's in our blood.

Thank you for the well wishes. This was the most afraid I've been in a while, (about three months since Joy's surgery!) and we were so glad the hospital is as close as it is--they opened a new Children's branch a few years ago that is about ten minutes away. Could that be any closer? We debated taking her to the hospital that is actually even closer, (I know, I know I'm lucky,) and it's a Baylor hospital but we felt like it would only help Miss MOMMY DON'T LEAVE ME OR LET A STRANGER TOUCH ME Charlie to have people who deal with kids all the time. I think it did. She seemed to warm up to the nurses and doctor fairly quickly. She was understandably excited to see Nattie and Popeye. Danced a little bit in the hospital room. Said, "Bye bye, see you next time..." to the doctor.

I doubt I'll go more than an hour at a time without checking on her tonight so I'm hitting the hay now while Sean is still up to do the checking/poking/prodding for a few hours.

Feeling grateful, M

Normal morning. Bonnie (you know her by now, right? beloved babysitter) came over with the little boy she babysits. Normal lunch. Until Charlie flipped backwards out of her chair and hit her head on the floor. She cried pretty hard and wanted to go to sleep so we started packing a bag to take with us to the hospital just in case. When she started vomiting I sent Sean with her to the ER and called for reinforcements. As soon as they (Nattie and Popeye) got here I went to the hospital and by that time things were winding down. One toddler with a mild concussion and four worried adults later, we are home. Grateful. Cleaning up. It's only 2 o'clock. Geez.

I'll update you later on but we are assuming she will make a full recovery!


Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Mary! How scary! I'm glad to hear Charlie is doing okay! Praying for full and swift recovery!

Julie said...

Lord have mercy!! I was freaking out seeing that pic. I'll be praying for for Charlie as she heals from this.

Carley said...

So glad she's doing okay. I haven't stopped thinking of you guys since I got your text! How scary!

Miss Mommy said...

There's always something...maybe that's part of having 3. I am so glad she is okay.

Michelle said...

So glad to hear she is doing ok. That had to be so scary!

Julie said...

Glad all is well!