Monday, January 5, 2009


It pays to make friends with the nurse at your doctors office. Last week I told Justine I'm likely to name someone after her one day I like her so much. She is so comforting and kind, not to mention helpful. This morning when I called her to ask if she could try to get me in to see the perinatal specialist quicker than two weeks, (the appt. I scored on my own,) she got me one for today at 3:00. Yeah that's a little better. 

And so, following a trip to see Casey and new baby Noah (I'll post pictures tomorrow!) Carley and I booked it back from Sherman to make it to the doctor. I dropped Carley off at her house and managed to pick up Ty's antibiotics on the way to get Sean. While I was with Casey, Noah, and Carley, Sean took both kids to the doctor (noticing a pattern?) because Ty has run a fever the last few days. One healthy bill of health for Charlie, one nasty ear infection for Ty. We are our insurance company's worst nightmare.

On to the appt. We learned some news about baby Joy's condition. The good news is that it is possible to have intrauterine surgery to remove the cyst. My doctor (OB) didn't know if it would be an option for me but the specialist today said it was. It is not an elective surgery though--they would only do it if the baby's life is in danger. If the cyst (I'm calling it ONE now since after seeing it today, it appears that three small ones have grown into one fair sized one, which is the bad news) impairs a major organ, they will try to remove it by doing surgery. It would be like a c-section as far as my recovery but it would save her life. The surgeon she sends people to is in Houston and he has a fantastic reputation for doing complicated surgeries on still-growing babies. Can you imagine the brains this guy has? He should be paid a million dollars every time! Maybe he is...hmmmm. Right now this is what I ask:

Please pray that the cyst will shrink from its current size so that it doesn't put unwelcome pressure on her heart. It is currently touching her heart but the blood flow is not compromised. Next Monday I will have another sonogram with this doctor to compare the size of the cyst to see if it has changed. The specialist today said that if it stays the same size she can make it to term and have surgery only if she has breathing issues. If it shrinks, this little baby will be totally fine. All other organs/systems are perfect. I will update after my appt. Monday, or as soon as I can after it pending repeat trips with my other kids to the hospital, dr. office, or park.

Until then, let's keep it lighter around here, don't you think? We took about 50 pictures today and I'll upload them in the morning. Right now I'm gonna watch some mindless TV and rest. Truly resting is, of course, trusting fully in what God has done and will do in my life and the lives I'm involved with. How great is He that he has given me the two kids that He has to take care of. How blessed am I that I get to see them grow and heal and learn more about how to function in this world. No matter how scary the future may be, He can provide us rest right now. Night night. 

Matthew 11:28-30
"Come unto Me, all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and my burden is light."


Anonymous said...

Mary- thank you for posting, I will continue to pray for baby Joy and for you guys. Thanks for adding the bit about keeping things light. I haven't been handling the weight of approaching responsibility too well, and your reminder that we can truly REST in Him is exactly what I needed to hear. I can't wait to see the pics of your visit to see baby Noah!

Carley said...

I had a great day with you today and was so relieved to hear the update after your appointment. I know it helps to have some answers and just not rely completely on the unknown! We are praying for Joy and love her so much already!